Thursday, September 20, 2012

Bleh.

Well. We went to Hawaii in August. It was warm, it was beautiful, we were lazy, we were active, we were outside and didn't need sweaters, we slept, we ran on the beach, we sun bathed, read, swam in the ocean and a few amazing pools, napped, ate sushi, shrimp, coconut and other tropical meals outside, drank wine , sake, margaritas and pina coladas, we snorkeled, talked, enjoyed each others company, hung out with family, in a word, it was nice.

It was nice, and since i've been back, life has been, how do you say?, not nice.

Work, crazy, averaging 11 hour days for the last 3 weeks. Auditors are in house for the month, VPs are under pressure to get all of their numbers good for year-end, and you know that saying, "If you want something done ask a busy person"?, well apparently a lot of people believe that, and since i'm busy, well, you get the picture. I guess on the bright side, when i'm CPA, working with small businesses, "work" will seem like a cake-walk. No foreign revaluations, no multiple entities, no subsidiaries, no international offices (language barriers are real people),  no inter company entries... I just need to keep in mind that my time in Corporate Accounting will make me that much more valuable 5 years from now.

Apart from work, we are packing and moving, and oh did I mention that Sean re injured his back? It was bad before, and it's worse now. A good thing would be if he didn't have to have surgery. Lord help us. This means i'm packing on my own, moving what I can, hiring movers, and just hoping to make it out alive.

I'm tired, discouraged, and wondering where my life went. I know it will pass and I'm so fortunate to rarely have times like these. But yeah, it's awful. Things i'm happy about include (mostly relating to the new house):

  • The paint colors for or new house: charcoal-blue, and various greys
  • 2 fireplaces
  • 3 days off next week, another vacation in December, and 4 more vacation days to take off as I please.
  • A weekend full of high school reunions.
  • My kee-kees (cats), Sophia and Frida
  • A VP came to my office today to personally thank me for my help with his financial statements.
  • God is good, and bigger than stress and money and material.
  • Sean has promised me a trip to the Ocean next month.
  • The Hobbit, the movie
  • Have nearly mastered my pulled pork recipe
  • Sean

Okay, i've gotta sleep.

2 comments:

Kiersten said...

love you dear. Want to talk language barriers? Let me bring you on a ship! :)

-Kierstie

Sharon said...

I love you. Oh heavens, I can't even imagine dealing with that 24 hours a day! How DO you manage? I guess there is the advantage of body language. Still, I'll stick with my once or twice a month correspondence with the Rotterdam office! Thank you very much.